Saturday, May 18, 2019

Broke on Pigeons

Indian Head Whiski (Jim) standing his birds
Both Jim and Pete are pointing their birds (pigeons) and holding at the flush and shot. In the bird field both dogs are still dragging a check cord and are equipped with an e-collar as they have been throughout the entire training process. As noted in an earlier blog, I do not work my dogs into birds with the cord, I use it to stop them, at some point in their bird-work, when they decide to chase. I believe that check cording dogs into birds can create a number of problems which stem from the handler "whoaing a dog up" when they think the dog is in the scent cone; I like the dog to tell me it's got the bird. The next step in the process is to introduce them to liberated birds.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with letting the dog tell you it has the bird!

Mike Spies said...

Right Jared... The tie to WHOA your dog is when he busts and chases, not on the approach to the point. After all, he has the nose and is better equipped to assess what the birds are doing and when he needs to stop and stand. The handler/trainer is telling the dog what he wants him to do, but not HOW to get it done, IMO.