Sunday, August 26, 2012

Maggie's adventures

Maggie came home a cute puppy:


Then she started to run and get into trouble, first with a pair of coyotes:


And then with a rattlesnake:


But she got past those two near-fatal experiences and today I worked her on birds for the first time.  She shows good promise:


Though the bird is not far away, it is well hidden and she pointed on scent, not sight.  She held point staunchly for a couple of minutes while I played with the camera and was profoundly disappointed when I walked her away from the point with the lead.  I had her on lead because the planted pheasant was not fully mature and I did not want her to catch a poorly-flying bird.

We head for Oregon in a bit over a month and I have great hopes that she will stick some birds while we are there.  She hunts with me and responds well to commands, and I have a GPS collar  ;-),  so I should at least be able to keep up with her.

2 comments:

Bruski said...

That last picture is beautiful, I'm so glad her recovery is going well.
-Nick

Unknown said...

I am totally agree with all of your ideas.
Thank you for post.


Show chain