Thursday, June 5, 2008

Lindner made Charles Daly 20 Gauge

This is an old Charles Daly 20 gauge gun - Grade 165 - that was manufactured by H. Lindner. My friend Clair Kofoed located this gun and arranged for me to buy it. It was in rough shape but the barrels were sound. I 'adopted' it and turned it over to Dennis Potter, Pete Mazur, Sam Welch, and Gary Goudy, who (in order) repaired, refinished, picked up the engraving, and restocked it for me.  I thank them for their usual superb work.

The gun weighs about 5-1/2 lbs and has 28-1/8" inch Damascus barrels with 2-3/4" chambers. Made for the American market and marqued 'Charles Daly' by the premier retailer of sporting goods of that era - Shoverling, Daly and Gales. I believe that it was made between 1897 and 1900 and it is still doing useful work on quail and doves. 

Click on the photo for an enlarged view.

2 comments:

Shawn K. Wayment, DVM said...

Mike...Very nice gun! Thanks for sharing it!

Shawn

Andrew Campbell said...

woooh, bub! very nice job... and a lovely gun to look at. Better watch out though, Shawn's been ogling double-guns for a few weeks now... hope he doesn't have your address!

best
A+M+M+J