Sunday, November 13, 2011

What are the odds?

While driving a decent dirt road in Montana in September a rear tire went very quickly flat. When I changed the tire I saw this small pebble protruding from the center of the tread:

The idea that such a tiny rock could cause immediate failure had me thinking about changing my prefered brand of tires. But after Malta Tire installed new rubber I saw that the "pebble" was just one end of this: A perfect tire assasin. My best guess is that the front tire tossed up the rock which then fell in front of the rear tire in a perfect jabbing position. Nasty rock and worse luck. But I always carry two spares on a long trip, and it was about time to change out the rear tires anyway, so just a mild inconvenience in a wonderful bird hunting trip.

No comments: